Salmon BothyThe Salmon Bothy by Clachtoll beach is now open to the public. It lies between the beach and the beach car park.
The Bothy dates to 1846, being built by Hector MacKenzie. It was known to have been inhabited in 1851 (Census) by a family of fishermen from Banff. It was finally closed for fishing in 1994.
Since then it has become a local museum and has hosted a local wedding. Further information and more pictures can be seen in the Bothy itself.
The sign erected by
Duncan Kerr, the last
The Bothy where the fishermen would shelter between fishing the nets, waiting for the tide and weather. In past years, the fishermen would live in the Bothy.
This picture shows the 'Port', where the Coble would have been moored.
The Coble or salmon fishing boat.
The Icehouse, now also open. Ice would be cut from the lochs in winter and stored here to keep the salmon fresh.